This reminded me of a “Brady Bunch” episode once. Anyway, Spike has invited Dragon Lord Ember to Ponyville—as well as Changeling pack leader Thorax. The former is seeking friendship advice from Spike since the dragons’ competitive nature is a bit of hindrance. The latter wants to talk to Spike because he’s having a hard time with a pack of changelings who still prefer to feed off love. Spike is deathly afraid that neither will get along with each other and cause a war. This becomes Spike’s friendship problem to solve.
So, Spike (with the help of Twilight and Starlight) go out of their way to make sure Ember and Thorax do not see each other. After several awkward moments, the Thorax and Ember meet each other and nearly come to blows before Spike admits that trying to keep them apart fearing they would not get along. Ember thinking that because she’s “bad at friendship” and Thorax thinking that he may be too soft.
Actually, Thorax and Ember do get along on their own. Ember gives Thorax a lesson on being more assertive when enforcing rules of his pack and Thorax giving Ember lessons about talking about her feelings (what she didn’t like to do in “Gauntlet of Fire”). And then Spike learns a lesson about trusting his friends would get along with each other and his scales glow which means his friendship problem is solved.
About those awkward moments, some of them were funny. For example, Ember getting used to Pony customs and also mistaking Starlight and Twilight with each other. Of course, Twilight’s scene with the chairs was funny as well. However, this whole episode was weird with one awkward moment after another. It’s when Thorax and Ember have time alone that they start to click. It’s about giving them space to learn friendship and that was something Spike (and indirectly Twilight and Starlight) was not giving them. They are actually good in this episode, it’s Spike that was a bit iffy until late.
Nevertheless, it’s not a terrible episode, it’s good because of and despite some awkward moments from all the characters involved.
Discovery Family will resume showing new (to those who have managed to avoid spoilers) Season Seven episodes starting on Saturday, August 5th. That day will see both “Discordant Harmony” and “The Perfect Pear” air starting at 11:30am ET/10:30am CT. Other episodes airing in August are “Fame and Misfortune”, “Triple Threat”, and “Campfire Tales”. Synopses below:
- Discordant Harmony premieres Saturday, August 5 at 11:30a/10:30c
- When Discord invites Fluttershy to his realm for tea, he worries she won’t be comfortable and begins to change it and himself with disastrous results.
- The Perfect Pear premieres Saturday, August 5 at 12/11c
- The Apple Siblings learn about their parent’s love story and discover that they’re half Pear. Guest stars William Shatner and Felicia Day.
- Fame and Misfortune premieres Saturday, August 12 at 11:30a/10:30c
- Twilight Sparkle’s publishing of the friendship journal has unintended consequences when ponies start to argue over who wrote the best lessons.
- Triple Threat premieres Saturday, August 19 at 11:30a/10:30c
- Spike accidentally invites Ember and Thorax to Ponyville on the same day! Confident that the two new leaders will not get along, he does all he can to keep them apart and cover the fact that the other is there.
- Campfire Tales premieres Saturday, August 26 at 11:30a/10:30c
- When their big sister/little sister camping trip is ruined by Fly-ders, Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash tell Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo the stories of their favorite legends. Inspired by the tales, the girls make the most out of their new situation.
Of course, both “Discordant Harmony” and “The Perfect Pear”—which features William Shatner and Felicia Day—were aired in Australia in June on Boomerang. It is the policy to not release reviews of these episodes until their airings in the United States.
With BronyCon the next weekend, that means that “Fame and Misfortune” will air that weekend. It is unknown at this time as to whether there will be an official screening which would be a first for the Baltimore-based convention.
If the season continues to air weekly, and the finale is a two-parter, the projected finale date at this point would be October 28th (three weeks after the movie opens). It has already been revealed that a sneak peek of Season Eight will be unveiled at Hascon on September 9th at noon at the Rhode Island Convention Center (Room 551 A/B) in Providence.
Of course, this weekend sees the My Little Pony panel this Friday at San Diego Comic Con with presumably both a preview of the Movie and the remainder of Season Seven.